Health Services

Students with Medical or Bereavement Issues

When a Bradley University student needs to miss classes due to a medical issue or a death in his or her family, the student needs to contact the Center for Student Support Services, (309) 677-3658. In the case of an extended illness, hospitalization, or chronic illness which has affected the student's class attendance, the student will need to provide documentation either from Bradley Health Services or another health provider. In cases when a student will miss classes due to a bereavement issue, the student also may need to provide appropriate documentation. Student Support Services will notify the student's professors of the time period the student will be absent and the reason for the absence.

Health Services

   Dr. Jessica Higgs
Director of Health Services
   Markin Center 101
  (309) 677-2700

Bradley Health Services exists to provide primary health care for Bradley students. All continuing students are eligible to use the health services on a year-round basis so long as they remain enrolled at the institution and pay the health fee. After hours calls are handled by OSF nurse triage at (309) 677-3200 and a Bradley physician is always available for phone consultation when needed.

If at any time a problem appears to be time-urgent or life-threatening, Health Services should be bypassed and a call should be made immediately to the Emergency Response Number, 911.

Counseling Services

Bradley University Counseling is a division of Health Services. We believe in the importance of understanding that the mind and body are not mutually exclusive and that health is obtained from addressing the needs of both.

Counseling is staffed by a psychiatrist and professional counselors. Students may receive an assessment and therapy for disorders such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders, addictions, and relationship concerns. A visiting psychologist is also available once a week for ADHD evaluation. Visits are confidential and free for Bradley students.

If a student has previously obtained health or mental health treatment at a clinic or facility other than Bradley University Health Services, it is recommended that the student sign a release of information form so that records may be sent to Bradley University Health Services. The student may sign a release of information form at that facility or download an Authorization Form for Release of Confidential Information, complete the form, and send it to the clinic or facility of prior treatment. Alternatively, the completed form may be brought to Health Services and staff will send the release of information for the student.

If a student has a medical or mental health illness that results in a potential danger to themselves or others, or significantly disrupts the learning of other students on campus, the student may be mandated to obtain the appropriate level of care that would result in recovery or stabilization of that illness. If the illness or the necessary level of care renders the student unable to attend classes, a medical withdrawal for the semester may be necessary.

Wellness Office

   Anna Virginia Reed
Assistant Director of Wellness
   Markin Center 50
  (309) 677-3381

The Bradley University Wellness Office offers current and accurate health information and programming on the 8 dimensions of wellness: Emotional, Environmental, Financial, Intellectual, Occupational, Physical, Social, and Spiritual, by promoting smart and healthy behavioral choices through collaboration within the university, out in the community, and nationwide.

Alcohol and Substance Abuse Program

Services are available for students concerned about alcohol and substance use and abuse. The use/abuse may be their own or that of a family member. Assessment, referral, and limited counseling are available. Students may also receive information about community resources such as the 12- step self—help groups and treatment centers by calling either Health Services or any of the numbers listed.

Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery, Proctor Community Hospital
Peoria, IL 61614
(309) 691-1055 or (800) 522-DRUG

Tap Resources, Inc.
Substance Abuse Evaluation and Assessment Services
2390 W. Nebraska Ave
Peoria, IL 61604
(309) 676-8762

Peoria Area Intergroup Assn.
610 W. Main Street
Peoria, IL 61606
(309) 673-1456

White Oaks Center
2101 Willow Knolls Road
Peoria, IL 61614
(309) 692-6900